“I think that’s the beauty of being an entrepreneur. When you jump into things, ignorance is bliss.” – Claudia Mata
On this episode of The Leadership Locker, Rich is joined by Vertly founder Claudia Mata. Listen in as they discuss Claudia’s transition from the fashion industry to the CBD industry, living abroad, and how Claudia rediscovered her identity when she founded Vertly.
Claudia Mata was born in El Salvador. She then relocated to New York, eventually becoming the Accessories and Jewelry Director for W Magazine. After moving to Northern California, she founded Vertly with her husband Zander Gladish, creating handcrafted skincare products using CBD and other plant extracts.
Throughout her herbalism education, Claudia studied how various plants, including cannabis, can help our bodies heal and thrive, specifically focusing on skin wellness. She began collaborating with botanical formulators and chemists, blending CBD with fresh healing plant extracts from the garden—and Vertly skincare was born.
- 00:09 – Intro
- 03:14 – About Claudia
- 03:59 – Growing up in El Salvador
- 05:12 – How Claudia got started in the fashion industry
- 06:01 – Living in France
- 07:05 – Working in the fashion industry
- 10:50 – Leaving the fashion industry
- 13:20 – Relocating to Northern California
- 14:19 – Claudia on rediscovering her identity and starting a new business
- 19:31 – Getting into the CBD industry
- 24:54 – Launching a business to solve a problem that you have
- 29:16 – Claudia on working with her husband
- 31:28 – How to get in touch with Claudia
Here is how to get in touch with Claudia:
Connect with Rich:
“You can’t build a brand around you if you really don’t know what you want to do, why you’re here doing it, and really who you are.” – Talie MIller
On this episode of The Leadership Locker, Rich is joined by personal branding expert Talie Miller. Listen in as Rich and Talie discuss why people struggle with personal branding, why virtual relationships are real relationships, and the difference between personal brand and influence.
Talie Miller is the founder of We Are The New, The Talie Miller Experience and Co-Creator of The Untitled Mastermind, and has been an executive and entrepreneur for over two decades and won juicy AF awards for her work.
- 00:09 – Introduction
- 03:19 – How Talie got into personal branding
- 07:12 – Branding vs. Personal Branding
- 11:18 – Why people struggle with personal branding
- 15:00 – Why you need a personal brand
- 16:48 – How to know when to reassess your personal brand
- 21:24 – Virtual relationships are real relationships
- 27:00 – Qualitative vs. quantitative ROI
- 30:16 – Content creation and sharing
- 37:00 – Knowing your audience
- 42:07 – The importance of flexing on social media
- 45:23 – Comparison and being genuine
- 48:56 – The importance of knowing your goals
- 52:03 – Does Elon Musk think he has a personal brand?
- 54:18 – Personal brand vs. influence
- 59:33 – Rich’s closing remarks
Here’s how you can connect with Talie:
Connect with Rich: