134. How to Be the Leader You Wish You Had with Stephen Shedletzky
June 16, 2021 no comments
“Experiencing fulfillment leads you to it.” – Stephen Shedletzky
On this episode of The Leadership Locker, Rich is joined by Head of Brand Experience at Simon Sinek Inc, Stephen Shedletzky. Listen in as Rich and Stephen discuss business culture, the challenges of transitioning, and why it’s important to have worthy rivals.
Stephen Shedletzky engages with people in meaningful ways so that we connect with depth and live in a more fulfilled world. With a knack for sharing the right words at the right moment, he delivers evidence-based content in a provocative, captivating and light-hearted way.
Feeling stifled on his corporate track, Stephen was struck by Simon Sinek’s vision of a more inspired, safe and fulfilled world. He joined Sinek’s team in 2012. What started as a position answering fan email, Stephen now leads Brand Experience and the team of Igniters to ensure every product, partnership and communication reflects the organization’s most deeply held beliefs.
- 00:09 – Introduction
- 03:00 – Stephen tells us about himself
- 03:48 – “Customers will love a company only if the employees love it first.”
- 06:21 – Being mentored by your predecessor
- 12:05 – The challenges of transitioning
- 19:04 – Being methodical vs. jumping in
- 23:01 – Is a bad business culture reversible?
- 29:04 – Worthy rivals
- 35:19 – Preparing your team to be ready for difficult times
- 38:16 – Reexamination and recalibration
- 41:01 – When your idea of fulfillment turns out to be wrong
- 42:42 – The loneliness of going your own way
- 45:30 – How to find Stephen online
- 46:01 – Rich’s closing thoughts
Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success by Adam Grant
Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders by L. David Marquet
Winning: The Unforgiving Race to Greatness by Tim Grover
Connect with Stephen:
Connect with Rich: